a space to truly hold on to our thoughts

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Moment of Truth

A long time back when I was working on my first job, I came across the term 'Moment of Truth' at a customer service training seminar .
It's defined as the instance of
contact or interaction between a customer and a firm that gives the customer an opportunity to form (or change) an impression about the firm .

Although this is the technical definition of the term, to me, it simply means, interactions with complete strangers that warm your heart. Small acts of kindness, a few courteous words, that touch your heart and stay with you long after.
I've encountered several such 'moments' during my stay here in the USA.

Here I was, trying to enter my apartment building, with several shopping bags in one hand and pushing a double stroller with the other, dreading the thought of getting through the double doors when some one on the other side, held the doors open for me. It's a gesture that we take for granted but at that instant, it was a moment of truth for me.
Then there's another one when my husband and I went to apply for my daughter's passport at the Post Office and the clerk was so gracious and polite. She was appreciative of my new baby and to top it all also gave her a coloring book and a box of crayons! This came as a huge surprise to me especially because, in India, one dreads going to the Post Office.
There were numerous moments of truth at the hospital where I gave birth to my two children. Every nurse that attended to me did so with a smile on her face, the baby was taken care of beautifully and the whole staff actually hugged me when I left the hospital ! Who has tears in their eyes when leaving a hospital, well, I did!

My life is enriched each day by moments of truth, I'm sure yours is too. Care to share some?

3 comments:

  1. Yes. I cannot agree more. Im guessing its only when we stop and think for a moment we realize how much we aer gaining out to life instead of always thinking what we give to it.

    Sadly, the monotony of lifes makes us take such
    moments for granted and fail to appreciate them.

    If only everyone took a second off to thank that person who holds doors open for us to pass by and then later not just reflect on it, but think about how that moment would have been sans that little gesture...perhaps the empathy would still thrive in this world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deepti..for the comment as well as becoming a follower! You inspired me to push myself and start this blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These small gestures from people who surround you make your life more lovable. And you feel like reciprocating the same to the world.
    Everyone deserves to be greeted with a smile. Everyday when we reached home my mother's warm and welcoming smile despite, whatever and however bad/good her day was made our lives really beautiful. We looked forward to being home unlike lots of other other kids. I must add this, i get the same feeling when I look at you the same warmth that my mother projects make home the place to be...

    ReplyDelete